The BERNDS-Folding Tandem – an open two-seater with a high risk of addiction
Beware! We have discovered:
tandem riding is addictive!
Tandem riders share the bike's weight and air resistance and so easily reach a brisk pace without a sweat. They can save their breath for a relaxed conversation during the ride. All in all: tandem riding really is part of quality of life.
The basic design for our folding tandem we have inherited from our folding bikes. We have mounted the robust, easy-running 20-inch wheels and the sprung, folding swingarm on a solid frame and adapted the whole geometry to the particular needs of tandem riding. Thus our folding tandem is especially simple and safe to ride; even at high speed you always have the feeling that everything is under control.
In comparison with conventional tandem, a BERNDS-Folding Tandem gives you a great number of advantages:
- the BERNDS-Folding Tandem is compact and foldable.
- In urban traffic, riding round tight corners is easy, thanks to the somewhat shortened wheelbase. Our tandems are so agile that you quickly get the hang of riding them.
- On the trains belonging to the Federal Railway or on suburban trains they fit unfolded in practically all bike racks and compartments. For you this means: no stress when loading or unloading in a full bicycle compartment!
- For transport by car, you can fold up your BERNDS-Folding Tandem with a few turns of the hand. It fits no bother inside the typical family saloon car. So you need no complicated roof or rear luggage rack. By the way: the extra fuel consumption caused by a roof or rear luggage rack is around 1 litre / 100 km. So on long trips you save money and spare the environment.
- The BERNDS-Folding Tandem - everybody can ride along!
- They are suitable without any special adaptation for riders of between 1.40 and 2.10 m tall – and are thus the ideal family tandem.
- The rear handlebars and the front rider's saddle are independently adjustable.
- On our tandems, too, the handlebars, stems and seatposts are standard sizes.
- A great number of attachments for carrying luggage are available.
- Our tandems are particularly suited to pulling trailers.
- For our BERNDS-Folding Tandems we can install a particularly efficient electric drive; with it, you can ride in the mountains, with no sweat!
- BERNDS-Folding Tandems – extra safe and extra light!
- The unusually wide and stable tyres provide more contact with the road surface and ensure sufficient reserves of grip when braking, and efficient damping.
- On all our tandem models we fit high-quality brakes; the hydraulic disc brakes which we particularly recommend ensure short braking distances even in the wet.
- The maximum payload is 260kg! Perhaps you will never make full use of this payload but you will always notice the safety reserve you have in hand.
- The BERNDS-Folding Tandem is extra light – from 18 kg upwards!
|Powder coating:||3 coats (primer, powder colour coating, clear lacquer), standard colour Diamond Black, other RAL colours at extra charge|
|Suspension:||rear wheel elastomer suspension (3 degrees of hardness available)|
|Bearings:||rear swingarm with self-lubricating, sintered brass bushing|
|Pedals:||high-quality ball-bearing type with non-slip rubber surface (optional fold or push-fit pedals)|
|Brakes:||V Brake (optional hydraulic wheel rim or disc brakes)|
|Felgen:||20" Schwalbe Big Apple 50 mm wide, 2-5 bar (others optional)|
|Spokes:||aluminium U-profile, 24 mm 36-hole|
|Wheel rims:||36 Nirosta, 2 mm|
|Steerer race:||1 1/8 inch sealed (BERNDS special)|
|Stem:||adjustable angle, 1 1/8 inch, different lengths optional|
|Handlebars:||Moon (other handlebars optional)|
|Seatpost||patented, aluminium 29.8 mm|
|Saddle:||Terry Citta (other saddles optional)|
|Mudguards:||plastic black or silver, 53 mm SKS Trekking with BERNDS special stainless steel staysEdelstahlstreben|
|Foot stands:||Hebie 630 (mounting using BERNDS special boss)|